Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 307
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 152mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 12 ounces dried orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons slivered lemon peelslivered lemon peel
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground pepperpepper
- 1. In a glass measure, combine saffron and 1 cup hot water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. When it is foamy, add shallots and stir until limp, about 1 minute. Stir in orzo, thyme, and lemon peel. Stir often until some of the orzo is deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3. Pour in broth, wine, and saffron water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Stir in lemon juice, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note