- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 12 ounces dried orzo pasta
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons slivered lemon peelslivered lemon peel
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground pepperpepper
- calories 307
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 6.7 g
- satfat 3.8 g
- carbohydrate 45 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 152 mg
- cholesterol 17 mg
How to Make It
In a glass measure, combine saffron and 1 cup hot water. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. When it is foamy, add shallots and stir until limp, about 1 minute. Stir in orzo, thyme, and lemon peel. Stir often until some of the orzo is deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Pour in broth, wine, and saffron water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed and orzo is tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
Stir in lemon juice, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and serve immediately.