Saffron-Marinated Chicken Skewers (Kesari Malai Tikka)
Saffron is one of the more expensive spices, but because of its strong, pungent flavor, a little goes a long way. Heating and steeping the milk and saffron allows the herb's exotic flavor to blossom. You can purchase almond meal in specialty stores, or grind the little you need for this recipe in a coffee grinder.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 111
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 21.6g
- Carbohydrate: 0.9g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 220mg
- Calcium: 24mg
- 2 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/2 cup Yogurt Cheese
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill.
- Combine milk and saffron in a small microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at high 20 seconds. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine the milk mixture, Yogurt Cheese, and next 5 ingredients (through pepper) in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken, tossing to coat; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 1/2 hours, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from bag, and discard marinade. Divide chicken evenly onto each of 20 (6-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 15 minutes or until cooked through, turning once.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note