This is a great recipe! The dish is full of flavor. I used an organic Moroccan saffron I purchased from Amazon, which enhanced the flavor of the dish. If you are interested, you can check it out here http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Saffron-LLC/dp/B00JX1QZRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402273446&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+moroccan+saffron Thanks! Keep these great recipes coming!
Saffron Chicken and Rice with Dates
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
North African staples transform this simple supper.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice and 2/3 cup chicken mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 273
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Carbohydrate: 38.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 6 whole pitted dates, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, and sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add onion, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in reserved chicken, tomato juice, and dates; cover. Reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, 2 cups water, and rice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken mixture over rice mixture. Garnish with sliced green onions and lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note