Loved this. Doubled the amount of dates and used 2 cups of tomato soup instead. Also used saffron AND turmeric. The sauce came out perfectly carmelized. Would definitely make this again. For a dinner party would use boneless, skinless thighs instead. Served with green beans sauteed with garlic and tossed w/feta.
Saffron Chicken and Rice with Dates
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
North African staples transform this simple supper.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup rice and 2/3 cup chicken mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 273
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 20.8g
- Carbohydrate: 38.6g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 6 whole pitted dates, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, and sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add onion, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in reserved chicken, tomato juice, and dates; cover. Reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, 2 cups water, and rice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken mixture over rice mixture. Garnish with sliced green onions and lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes