This is a solid recipe for butternut squash soup. I enjoyed it along with the rest of my family and thought that it was easy to make.
Saffron Butternut Squash Soup
More From Southern Living
- 1 large leek
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: crushed almond biscotti
- Cut and discard green top from leek; cut white portion into slices.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add leek slices and saffron, and sauté 5 minutes or until leek slices are tender. Add white wine, and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add squash and next 5 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until squash and carrots are tender. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. (A handheld immersion blender may also be used.)
- Return squash mixture to Dutch oven. Add cream, salt, and pepper; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This