More From Oxmoor House
Total: 3 Hours, 5 Minutes
- Parchment paper
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- APRICOT-ORANGE FILLING:
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- GRAND MARNIER CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- Garnish: chocolate curls
- 1. Prepare Cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper; coat pan with cooking spray.
- 2. Beat 3/4 cup butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric mixer until creamy (about 2 minutes). Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition. Add vanilla and melted chocolate, beating on low speed just until blended. Gradually add flour, beating just until blended. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with an electirc mixer until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Fold in one-fourth of egg whites into batter; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Pour batter into pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 2 hours). Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen; invert onto work surface. Cut horizontally into 3 layers.
- 4. Prepare Apricot-Orange Filling: Process apricot preserves in a food processor 30 seconds or until smooth. Transfer to a small saucepan, and cook over medium-low heat until melted, stirring often. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup liqueur.
- 5. Brush 1/2 cup apricot mixture over 1 cake layer; top with second cake layer. Brush 1/2 cup apricot mixture; top with remaining cake layer. Brush top with remaining 1/4 cup apricot mixture. Set cake on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- 6. Prepare Glaze: Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Combine whipping cream and corn syrup in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour over chocolate; let stand 1 minute. Whisk until smooth; stir in butter. Pour glaze over cake, covering top and sides completely. Chill cake 1 hour or until glaze is set.
- 7. Just before serving, prepare Grand Marnier Cream: Beat 1 cup whipping cream with an electric mixer until foamy; add powdered sugar and orange liqueur, beating until soft peaks form. Cut cake into 12 wedges. Top with Grand Marnier Cream. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note