Rye Stuffing with Italian Sausage, Pears, and Chestnuts
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 717mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, squeezed from casing
- 1 pound day-old rye bread cubes (from a crusty loaf)
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 1 cup halved peeled steamed chestnuts
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Put sausage in a large bowl. Add bread, pears, and chestnuts.
- 2. Mix broth, eggs, salt, and thyme in a second bowl and pour over bread mixture, tossing gently to mix. Transfer mixture to a greased 9- by 13-in. baking dish.
- 3. Bake stuffing until firm to the touch and starting to brown on top, about 45 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables