- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, squeezed from casing
- 1 pound day-old rye bread cubes (from a crusty loaf)
- 2 pears, cored and sliced
- 1 cup halved peeled steamed chestnuts
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- calories 293
- caloriesfromfat 54 %
- protein 11 g
- fat 18 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- carbohydrate 25 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- sodium 717 mg
- cholesterol 68 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Put sausage in a large bowl. Add bread, pears, and chestnuts.
Mix broth, eggs, salt, and thyme in a second bowl and pour over bread mixture, tossing gently to mix. Transfer mixture to a greased 9- by 13-in. baking dish.
Bake stuffing until firm to the touch and starting to brown on top, about 45 minutes.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.