What a wonderful light lunch with pita crackers! Used wheat berries since that's what we had. The orange flavor is so nice, balancing the stronger parsley and celery. We'll be making this again and again.
Rye Berry Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Make this salad with any whole grain, including wheat berries or barley. Vary the chopped vegetables too, if you like. But don't change one iota of the simply luscious vinaigrette made with orange juice and champagne vinegar; it makes this salad burst with flavor.
Substitute raisins if you don't have currants.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 174
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 29.3g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 329mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rye berries or wheat berries
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine 3 cups water and rye berries in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Drain.
- Combine 1 cup hot water and currants in a small bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine rye berries, currants, celery, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, shallots, rind, juice, and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in oil with a whisk. Pour shallot mixture over rye mixture; toss well to coat.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This