- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/2 loaf rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- calories 284
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 10 g
- carbohydrate 41 g
- sugars 10 g
- fiber 4 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 5 g
- sodium 584.18 mg
- cholesterol 72 mg
How to Make It
Prepare the Stuffing
Heat oven to 400° F. Butter a deep 3-quart casserole dish. Place the bread on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden, 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the apples and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
Add the vegetable mixture, parsley, and sage to the bread and toss to combine. Mix in the eggs. Transfer to the prepared dish and cover loosely with buttered foil.
Cook the Stuffing
Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.