Ryan's Favorite Corn Chowder
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper core, seeded, and diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 2 can(s) low fat, low sodium chicken broth (like college inn or swanson)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cup(s) frozen corn kernels
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can(s) creamed corn
- 1 can(s) evaporated fat free milk (12 oz) (not condensed sweetened milk!)
- 1 pinch(s) cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large heavy bottomed sauce pot, heat oil over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, red peppers, garlic and cumin: cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, thyme, and bay leaf and increase heat until mixture begins to boil. Turn down heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 10-12 minutes depending on size of potato pieces).
- Add creamed corn and stir. Shake milk can and pour contents into pot. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Remove and discard bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by amddoody and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes