Ryan's Favorite Corn Chowder
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 2 large onions chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper core, seeded, and diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 2 can(s) low fat, low sodium chicken broth (like college inn or swanson)
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cup(s) frozen corn kernels
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can(s) creamed corn
- 1 can(s) evaporated fat free milk (12 oz) (not condensed sweetened milk!)
- 1 pinch(s) cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large heavy bottomed sauce pot, heat oil over low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, red peppers, garlic and cumin: cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, thyme, and bay leaf and increase heat until mixture begins to boil. Turn down heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen corn and potatoes, return to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 10-12 minutes depending on size of potato pieces).
- Add creamed corn and stir. Shake milk can and pour contents into pot. Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes (do not boil). Remove and discard bay leaf. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by amddoody and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note