was amazing and great!
Rustic White Bread
Using this simple recipe will provide beginning bakers the basic skills needed for making bread. Shaping the bread into a free-form round is easier than forming it into a traditional loaf.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 128
- Calories from fat: 4%
- Fat: 0.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 25.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 201mg
- Calcium: 6mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 2 3/4 cups flour and salt to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Shape dough into a 6-inch round; place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Uncover dough. Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg white, stirring with a whisk; brush over dough. Make 3 (4-inch) cuts 1/4 inch deep across top of dough using a sharp knife.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until bread is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads