Rustic Smashed Red Potatoes
Photo: Laurie Black; Styling: Chelsea Fuss
More From Coastal Living
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 pounds unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) container crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh sage leaves
- 1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until butter is golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in salted water to cover in an 8-quart soup pot, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pot, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 1 minute or until potatoes are dry. Remove from heat, and mash potatoes with crème fraîche, salt, and pepper. Stir in browned butter, reserving 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- 3. Transfer potatoes to a 2-quart ovenproof serving dish. Drizzle with reserved brown butter, and sprinkle with sage leaves. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- If making ahead, cover dish with foil, and chill. Remove from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables