Rustic Peach Tart
Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/PeachTart.html#ixzz24OCN50YV
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 1/4 cup(s) (175 grams) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) (2 grams) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) (14 grams) sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter chilled cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/8 to 1/4 cup(s) (30 - 60ml) ice water
- 1 1/2 pound(s) (680 grams) fresh ripe peaches
- 2-3 tablespoon(s) (30-40 grams) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- Short Crust Pastry: In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds). Pour 1/8 cup (30 ml) water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until the pastry just holds together when pinched. Add remaining water, if necessary. Do not process more than about 30 seconds.
- Turn the pastry out onto your work surface, gather it into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about one hour to chill the butter and allow the gluten in the flour to relax.
- Once the pastry has chilled, remove from refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry into a 14 inch (35 cm) square. To prevent the pastry from sticking to the counter and to ensure uniform thickness, keep lifting up and turning the pastry a quarter turn as you roll (always roll from the center of the pastry outwards to get uniform thickness). Transfer the pastry to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover and place in the refrigerator while you slice the peaches.
- Peach Filling: Wash and rub the peaches to remove any fuzz. Cut the peach following the suture from stem to blossom end and then up the opposite side. Gently twist the two halves of the peach and it should easily separate. Remove the seed and cut into 3/4 - 1 inch (2.5 cm) slices. You will need about 4 cups (1 pound) (454 grams) of sliced peaches. Place the peach slices in a large bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Then add about 3 to 4 tablespoons (30 - 40 grams) of granulated white sugar, or to taste. Arrange peach slices randomly on the pastry, leaving about a two inch (5 cm) wide border. Scrape any remaining sugar from the bowl and sprinkle over the peaches. Gently fold the edges of the pastry up and over the peaches, pleating as necessary. Make sure to seal any cracks in the pastry.
- Bake the tart in a preheated 425 degree F (220 degree C) oven for about 35 - 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Reduce heat by 25 degrees (4 degree C) if the pastry starts to burn. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Best served warm, within an hour of baking, with vanilla ice cream.
- Makes one - 12 inch (30 cm) tart.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kitchenwitchCO and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Rustic Peach Tart Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts