Rustic Onion Soup
Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 242
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 159mg
- Calcium: 130mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds red and yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth, hot
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a 4-quart pot over moderate heat. Add the next 4 ingredients (through thyme); cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 16 minutes or until the onions begin to color.
- 2. Uncover and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until onions are golden.
- 3. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Pour vermouth carefully into pan from measuring cup, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Cook 2 minutes more or until liquid is almost gone. Add broth, 2 cups water, Worcestershire, and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a simmer; cook 20 minutes.
- 4. Remove bay leaf, and ladle soup into bowls. Top each with sour cream and sprinkle of black pepper. Serve.
- Time-saver alert! Make a double batch of this soup and freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Just thaw, heat, and serve for a last-minute dinner.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews