Really good and easy. Serve it warm with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. Yum
Rustic Apple Tart
Purchased piecrust dough is a convenient time-saver. We like the flavor combo of sweet Golden Delicious and tart Granny Smith apples, but you can use any apple (or combination of apples) you like. If you'd like to keep strictly kosher when making this dessert for our Hanukkah menu, use walnut oil in place of butter, and look for pie dough made with shortening (and containing no lard).
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 10.6mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 140mg
- Calcium: 16mg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 1/2 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 1 teaspoon ice water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar; cook 2 minutes or until sugars dissolve. Stir in apples and next 3 ingredients (through nutmeg). Cover, reduce heat, and cook 20 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Set oven rack to lowest third of oven.
- 3. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper. Roll dough into a 14-inch circle. Place dough and parchment paper on a baking sheet. Arrange cooled apples in center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the edges of dough toward center, pressing gently to seal (dough will only partially cover the apple mixture). Brush dough with 1 teaspoon ice water, and sprinkle evenly with 1 teaspoon granulated sugar. Bake the tart at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4. Place the preserves and 1 teaspoon water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until bubbly. Brush the mixture over warm tart. Cut into wedges, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note