- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground whole-wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons trans fat–free vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 3 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar
- calories 343
- fat 11 g
- satfat 4 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 3 g
- protein 4 g
- carbohydrate 58 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 4 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 160 mg
- calcium 30 mg
How to Make It
For crust: Combine first 4 ingredients; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add apple juice, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing until dough is moist and begins to stick together. Cover in plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°.
For filling: Toss apples with lemon juice. Whisk together next 4 ingredients; pour over apples, tossing until well-combined.
Unwrap dough; place on parchment paper. Roll into a 15-inch circle. Place dough and parchment on rimmed baking sheet; arrange apples in center, leaving 2-inch border. Fold edges in; press gently to seal. Dot apples with butter.
Whisk egg white and water. Brush dough with egg wash; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Loosely cover with foil; bake 25–30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes or until tender and golden.
Let stand 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges; serve.