- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 12 ounces Red Russian or other kale, stems removed and leaves cut into slender ribbons
- Kosher salt (optional)
- calories 311
- caloriesfromfat 54 %
- protein 16 g
- fat 19 g
- satfat 6.4 g
- carbohydrate 18 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- sodium 645 mg
- cholesterol 62 mg
How to Make It
Cook chorizo in oil in a pot over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
Add onion to fat in pot and sauté until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chile flakes, and pepper; cook about 1 minute. Add broth and potato; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in kale and chorizo; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until kale is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.