Rum-Glazed Citrus Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 536
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 7.6g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 92g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 594mg
- Cholesterol: 146mg
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped candied citrus peel
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 oranges (1 lb. total), rinsed
- 1 lemon (5 oz.), rinsed
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1. In a bowl, mix raisins, candied peel, and 1/4 cup rum. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, grate peel and squeeze juice from 1 orange and the lemon; reserve. Thinly slice remaining orange, discarding ends; cut slices into half-moons. Arrange slices attractively over bottom and up sides of a buttered 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
- 3. In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add grated orange and lemon peel and 2 tablespoons each orange and lemon juice (reserve remaining for other uses).
- 4. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat on low speed until well blended. Stir in rum-steeped raisins and candied peel. Scrape batter into prepared pan, taking care not to disturb orange slices; smooth top level.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then run a knife blade gently around edges to release cake; invert onto a wire rack.
- 6. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, stir marmalade and remaining 2 tablespoons rum until hot. Pour through a fine strainer into a small bowl. Brush glaze all over warm cake. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour, then cut into slices to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts