It is a very dense cake and weighs a ton when done! You have to really like chocolate and sweetness to like this cake. Impressive looking cake, but not sure when that I will personally make again.
Rudolph's Chocolate Truffle Cake
Photo: Lee Harrelson; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
- 8 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate squares
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Truffle Filling, divided
- 10 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 to 2 (1-ounce) semisweet chocolate squares, finely grated
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan over low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and let mixture cool slightly (about 10 minutes).
- Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in melted chocolate mixture until blended and smooth.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; whisk into chocolate mixture until blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
- Bake at 325° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Chocolate Truffle Filling evenly on top of 1 cake layer. Top with 1 cake layer; spread 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Chocolate Truffle Filling evenly on top, reserving remaining 1/2 cup Chocolate Truffle Filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Microwave coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate squares and cream in a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute and then every 30 seconds until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth and slightly thickened. Let cool slightly (about 15 minutes).
- Spread warm semisweet chocolate mixture over top and sides of cake. Chill cake 30 minutes or until chocolate glaze is firm. Pipe border using a rosette tip around bottom of cake with remaining 1/2 cup Chocolate Truffle Filling. Sprinkle finely grated semisweet chocolate evenly over top of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note