Thanks to the previous reviewers I was prepared for this recipe :) I made it the night before to serve for breakfast the next day and I had all the pots I'd need ready. It does make a bit of a mess dishes-wise but it is completely worth it this 'dessert' is delicious! I would serve it as a dessert too even though it's not very sweet but after a heavy meal this would be the right touch. It worked well for breakfast too though. We all loved it and will definitely be making it again!
Ruby Port and Rhubarb Risotto with Sugared Strawberries
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Risotto becomes a kind of rice pudding in this dish, with a sweet-tart syrup drizzled over the creamy rice.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 46.6g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 129mg
- Calcium: 118mg
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup ruby port
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked Carnaroli or Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1. Combine strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Combine port and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in rhubarb; cook 7 minutes.
- 3. Bring 3 1/2 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat. Combine milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a separate saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat. Melt butter in a large Dutch oven. Add rice to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup hot water; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining water, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of water is absorbed before adding the next. Add milk mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of milk is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in vanilla; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in mascarpone until cheese melts. Place about 1/2 cup risotto in each of 8 bowls. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons port mixture and 1/4 cup strawberry mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This