More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 563
- Calories from fat: 70%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 44g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 539mg
- Cholesterol: 172mg
- 3 cups hickory or apple wood chips
- 3 tablespoons ground California or New Mexico chilies
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- About 4 pounds pork back ribs
- Sweet and tangy sauce
- 1. In a bowl, pour enough hot water over wood chips to make them float. Drain chips to add to barbecue.
- 2. Mix ground chilies, paprika, pepper, and salt.
- 3. Wipe ribs with a damp towel, then rub all over with the chili mixture.
- 4. Prepare barbecue for indirect heat.
- If using charcoal briqiets, mound and ignite 40 briquets on the firegrate of a barbecue with a lid. When briquets are dotted with gray ash, in 15 to 20 minutes, push equal amounts to opposite sides of firegrate. Add 5 more briquets to each mound of coals now and every 30 minutes while cooking. Set a drip pan on firegrate between coals.
- If using a gas barbecue, turn all burners to high and close lid for 10 minutes. Adjust burners for indirect cooking (no heat down center) and reduce heat to low.
- For charcoal smoke, add 1/2 cup soaked wood chips with the 5 briquets every 30 minutes of cooking. For gas smoke, as soon as you turn on heat, place 1 cup soaked wood chips in the barbecue's metal smoking box or in a small, shallow foil pan directly on heat in a corner of the firegrate; add 1 more cup chips after each hour of cooking.
- Set barbecue grill in place.
- 5. Lay ribs on grill but not directly over heat. If there is not enough space for all the ribs, set them upright in a metal rib rack on grill but not directly over heat. Cover barbecue (open vents for charcoal) and cook until meat pulls easily from bones, about 2 1/2 hours. You don't need to turn ribs on a charcoal barbecue, but on a gas barbecue turn ribs occasionally, even in metal rack.
- 6. Transfer ribs to a large platter; cut between bones and serve with sweet and tangy sauce
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This