Round Crusty Loaf
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon whipping cream
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water, stirring well; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Pour scalded milk over butter in a large mixing bowl; stir until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm (105° to 115°). Add remaining sugar, yeast mixture, salt, and 4 eggs, stirring well. Gradually add whole wheat flour, beating well. Add enough bread flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour and 15 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shaping each portion into a round loaf. Place loaves on greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Combine egg yolk and whipping cream; mix well, and lightly brush over top of loaves. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove bread from baking sheets; cool on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads