Enjoyable, cheesy dish. It felt indulgent. I used 2/3 pre-sliced velveeta and 1/3 reduced fat sharp cheddar. The milk & flour mixture took quite a bit more than 8 min to thicken. Would be good with mushrooms too.
Rotini and Cheese with Broccoli and Ham
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
Serve this creamy dish with a tossed green salad or a fruit salad.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 3/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 288
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 19.1g
- Carbohydrate: 42.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 937mg
- Calcium: 296mg
- 4 quarts water
- 2 cups uncooked rotini (about 8 ounces corkscrew pasta)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) cubed light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped reduced-fat ham
- Bring water to a boil in a large stockpot. Add pasta; cook 5 minutes. Add broccoli; cook an additional 5 minutes or until pasta is done; drain.
- While pasta cooks, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and next 4 ingredients (cheese through pepper). Combine pasta mixture, cheese sauce, and ham.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note