- 12 ounces penne or favorite pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic. Sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms; cook 12 minutes or until tender. Add broth; cook 4 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in tomato and chipotle pepper; cook 2 minutes. Stir in salt and black pepper.
Process about 1 cup vegetable mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Stir pureed mixture into remaining vegetable mixture; toss with pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Note: For a children's version, omit the chipotle pepper, and puree the entire vegetable mixture; toss with alphabet-shaped pasta.