Chicken is a classic candidate for roasting. In this version, start marinating the chicken at least two hours before cooking. When prepping the ingredients, grate the lemon rind before squeezing the fruit for juice. Cutting the backbone of the chicken makes it easier to lay flat for even cooking. Adding a small amount of water to the pan prevents drippings from burning and giving off an unpleasant smell. -Recipe by Gwen Ashley Walters
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 23.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.3g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 322mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 1 (3-pound) roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water, and pat dry. Trim excess fat. Place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting surface. Cut chicken in half lengthwise along backbone (do not cut through breastbone). Turn chicken over. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine rosemary and the next 10 ingredients (through juice). Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin and over surface of chicken. Cut a 1-inch slit in skin at the bottom of each breast half; insert tips of drumsticks into slits. Place chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on the rack of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Add water to pan to a depth of 1/4 inch. Place rack in pan. Bake at 425° for 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 180°. Remove from oven; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 5 minutes, and discard skin.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note