More From Southern Living
Bake: 11 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising soft wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 to 3 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 to 1 cup self-rising soft wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients until well blended. Cut in shortening and chilled butter with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface; sprinkle with 1/2 cup self-rising flour. Knead 20 to 25 times, adding up to 1/2 cup additional flour until dough is smooth and springy to touch.
- 3. Pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle (about 8 1/2 inches round). Cut dough with a well-floured 2-inch round cutter, making 12 biscuits. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Knead remaining dough together 3 or 4 times; repeat procedure, making 6 more biscuits. Lightly brush tops with melted butter.
- 4. Bake at 500° for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used White Lily Self-Rising Soft Wheat Flour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note