Great! I used crushed rosemary and added fresh sage. It's just sweet enough when you get a bite of apple. The recipe is pretty easy to follow. I wouldn't change anything about it and I will definitely make it for my parents the next time they come to town!
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
"Apple keeps the bread moist. It's even better the second day." --CL Reader
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 95
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 19.1g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 188mg
- Calcium: 5mg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 package quick-rise yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 cup diced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 small)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 3/4 cups flour, salt, rosemary, and yeast in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add water, stirring until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Knead in apple. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Shape dough into a loaf; place dough in an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Gently press dough into pan; cover. Let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until bread is lightly browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Brush top with butter. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Rosemary-Apple Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breads