This soup is so delicious, the flavors blend so well together. Even my 18 months old son loves it. Makes great leftovers for lunch.
Root Vegetable Soup with Meatballs
We love the play between the delicate, slightly sweet purée of turnips and parsnips and the savory cheese- and herb-enhanced meatballs. Serve this soup as the first course for a fall dinner party. Prep and Cook Time: 50 minutes. Notes: Some bread and a simple green salad turn this soup into an elegant meal for 4.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Sodium: 1206mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 medium turnips (about 1 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 6 medium parsnips (about 1 1/2 lbs.), peeled and chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely grated asiago, parmesan, or pecorino cheese
- About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add turnips, parsnips, broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine pork, 1 tbsp. chives, parsley, cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Mix gently to combine. Form into 36 balls, about 1 tsp. each, and set aside.
- 3. Whirl soup in a blender until smooth (in batches if necessary). Return to pot and keep warm over low heat.
- 4. In a wide, shallow pan, bring at least 2 in. of water to a boil and add remaining 1 tsp. salt. Add meatballs and cook until they float to the surface and are cooked through (test one to be sure), about 4 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate with a slotted spoon.
- 5. Divide soup among 6 bowls. Top each bowl with 6 meatballs and sprinkle with additional chives and pepper. Serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note