- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 medium turnips (about 1 lb.), peeled and chopped
- 6 medium parsnips (about 1 1/2 lbs.), peeled and chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon minced chives, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely grated asiago, parmesan, or pecorino cheese
- About 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- calories 243
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- protein 12 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- carbohydrate 25 g
- fiber 6.3 g
- sodium 1206 mg
- cholesterol 37 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add turnips, parsnips, broth, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine pork, 1 tbsp. chives, parsley, cheese, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a small bowl. Mix gently to combine. Form into 36 balls, about 1 tsp. each, and set aside.
Whirl soup in a blender until smooth (in batches if necessary). Return to pot and keep warm over low heat.
In a wide, shallow pan, bring at least 2 in. of water to a boil and add remaining 1 tsp. salt. Add meatballs and cook until they float to the surface and are cooked through (test one to be sure), about 4 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate with a slotted spoon.
Divide soup among 6 bowls. Top each bowl with 6 meatballs and sprinkle with additional chives and pepper. Serve hot.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.