Root Vegetable Smash
This mixed root smash, more earthy and complex than mashed potatoes alone, was inspired by the overflowing winter CSA boxes that Piper Davis, co-owner and cuisine director at Grand Central Bakery in Portland and Seattle, got each week from Portland's 47th Avenue Farms. It's excellent with her Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 194
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 356mg
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- 2 large russet potatoes (1 3/4 lbs. total)
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed root vegetables such as parsnips, rutabagas, turnips, kohlrabi, and parsley root
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup each butter and whipping cream
- 1. Peel vegetables, rinse, and cut into 2-in. chunks. Put in a large saucepan with 1 tsp. salt and water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Return vegetables to pot with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, the butter, and cream. Mash (some lumps are okay). Season with salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note