Root Vegetable Mash
Peppery parsnips and buttery Yukon gold potatoes yield a light yet rich mashed vegetable side.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 141
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 24.5g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 285mg
- Calcium: 47mg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups peeled, cubed Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 large)
- 3 cups peeled, chopped celeriac (celery root)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped parsnips (about 2)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1. Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt and next 8 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until potato is tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from heat.
- 2. Discard thyme sprig. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and half-and-half. Mash with a potato masher until almost smooth.
- Note: Though the menu serves 6, this recipe makes enough for 8 servings. Refrigerate the extra servings to enjoy the next day as a side to chicken, beef, or fish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note