Big Hit at the Labor Day BBQ
Root Beer Baked Beans
Transform canned pork and beans into superb baked beans by stirring in peppery-sweet root beer, dry mustard, and hot sauce. The 5-minute prep time might make this dish one of your summertime favorites.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 55 Minutes
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1/2 cup root beer (not diet)
- 1/4 cup hickory-smoked barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Sauté diced onion in hot bacon drippings in skillet over high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Stir together onion, crumbled bacon, beans, and remaining ingredients in a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake beans, uncovered, at 400° for 55 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note