- 1 cup slivered almonds (4 oz.)
- 4 ounces Italian or sweet French bread
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (7 1/4 oz.) or 1 cup peeled roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- About 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Spanish or other paprika (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- About 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- About 1/3 cup clam juice
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- About 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (if using sweet paprika; see notes)
- calories 61
- caloriesfromfat 80 %
- protein 1 g
- fat 5.4 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- carbohydrate 3 g
- fiber 0.4 g
- sodium 59 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Spread almonds in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350° regular or convection oven, shaking pan occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
Trim crusts from bread; reserve for another use or discard. Cut bread into 1-inch chunks; you should have about 3 cups.
In a food processor, whirl nuts until finely chopped. Add bread, basil, red peppers, tomato paste, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vinegar, brandy (if desired), paprika, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; whirl until peppers are puréed.
With motor running, gradually add 1/3 cup clam juice and whirl until incorporated, then gradually add olive oil; process until smooth. Taste, and add cayenne and more salt and vinegar if desired. If thicker than desired, whirl in a little more clam juice. Scrape into a bowl. Let stand about 20 minutes for flavors to blend before serving.
Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.