For this version of the Spanish sauce, L.A. chef Brandon Boudet cooks the peppers and seasonings in oil before puréeing them to bring out a rich, toasty flavor.
This recipe goes with Spanish Potato Tortilla
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 84%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 6.4g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 195mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 medium onion, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice pain au levain (4 by 5 in. and about 1/2 in. thick), crusts removed, chopped
- 1/3 cup Marcona or other roasted almonds
- 1 1/2 cups roasted red peppers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked Spanish paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Coat onion with 1 tbsp. oil. Roast in a pie pan, cut side down, until soft when pressed, 40 to 45 minutes. Discard dark outer layer. Slice onion crosswise.
- 2. Toast bread and almonds in a large frying pan over medium-low to low heat, stirring occasionally, until bread is crisp but not brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add 3 tbsp. oil, the onion, peppers, garlic, paprika, and chile flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is softened, 8 to 12 minutes.
- 3. Purée mixture in a food processor with remaining 5 tbsp. oil, the vinegar, lemon juice, and salt.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 week, chilled; serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note