Wonderful flavor and beautiful salad! We love it!
Romaine with Toasted Pecans and Pickled Strawberries
Use this recipe as a template for every season, substituting seasonal fruit such as plums, figs, or grapes for the berries. If your strawberries are large, cut them into eighths.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 (16-oz.) container fresh strawberries, quartered
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 (4-oz.) blue cheese wedge, crumbled* (optional)
- 1. Combine first 2 ingredients and 1 1/2 cups water in a large bowl; whisk in honey until salt is dissolved and honey is blended. Add strawberries; cover and let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Pour strawberry mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a medium bowl; reserve 2 Tbsp. liquid. Transfer strawberries to a bowl. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 3. Whisk together 1 Tbsp. vinegar, Dijon mustard, and reserved 2 Tbsp. strawberry liquid in a bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
- 4. Cut lettuce hearts in half crosswise, keeping top 6 inches of each and reserving ends for another use. Place lettuce tops on a serving platter. Top with strawberries, pecans, and, if desired, cheese; drizzle with vinegar mixture.
- *1 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, crumbled, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note