Liked the combination here. Mine came out a bit liquidy but the flavors were really good.
Romaine Salad with Mandarins and Asian Dressing
More From Sunset
- Calories: 128
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 or 5 mandarins or small oranges (1 1/2 lb. total)
- 2 firm-ripe avocados (3/4 lb. total)
- 5 quarts romaine lettuce (about 2 heads) in bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a 6- to 8-inch frying pan, shake almonds often over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Pour from pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix vinegar, oil, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and mustard.
- 3. If peel is tight on mandarins, use a knife to cut it and white membrane from fruit, then cut between inner membranes to release fruit segments. Discard peel and membrane; reserve juice for another use. If peel is loose, pull off and discard, then separate segments. Pull off and discard any loose membrane. Add fruit to the bowl.
- 4. Peel and pit avocados; thinly slice into the bowl. Mix gently.
- 5. Add lettuce and almonds to bowl. Mix gently, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Up to a day ahead, toast nuts and make dressing; cover and let stand. Chill greens. Peel and segment mandarins up to 6 hours ahead; cover and chill. Or, instead of fresh fruit, use 1 or 2 cans (11 oz. each) mandarin sections, drained.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This