- 4 ounces country ham, diced
- 2 1/2 cups 1-inch cubed bread
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces romaine lettuce hearts
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Sauté ham, bread, and pepper in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 1 minute or until oil is absorbed. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until bread toasts. Remove from heat.
Process white wine vinegar and next 4 ingredients in a blender until combined. With blender running, slowly add oil, processing until smooth. Slice lettuce lengthwise. Arrange lettuce, onion, and mushrooms on 4 serving plates.
Pour water to a depth of 3 inches into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Add white vinegar. Break eggs, and slip into water, 1 at a time. Simmer 3 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon. Top each salad with egg, crouton mixture, and desired amount of dressing and Parmesan cheese.