Rolled Benne Wafers
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine butter, corn syrup, sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter melts. Add flour and salt; stir until well blended. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in sesame seeds. Place pan in a bowl of hot water.
- Drop batter by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand for 1 minute. Shape each wafer around the buttered handle of a wooden spoon. Slide off, and place on a wire rack to cool completely. (Bake only 5 wafers at a time because they harden quickly after baking.) Repeat procedure with remaining batter. Store wafers in airtight containers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note