Rich cake, but nice and fluffy! Got milk? You will want a glass with this!
Rocky Road Chocolate Cake
Slow-cook your way to rich, chocolatey, marshmallowey goodness.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 15 Minutes
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3.9-oz.) package chocolate instant pudding mix
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 (3.4-oz.) package chocolate cook-and-serve pudding mix
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- 1. Beat cake mix, next 5 ingredients, and 1 1/4 cups milk at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Pour batter into a lightly greased 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Cook remaining 2 cups milk in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil); remove from heat.
- 3. Sprinkle cook-and-serve pudding mix over batter. Slowly pour hot milk over pudding. Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours.
- 4. Meanwhile, heat pecans in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- 5. Turn off slow cooker. Sprinkle cake with pecans, marshmallows, and chocolate morsels. Let stand 15 minutes or until marshmallows are slightly melted. Spoon into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream, if desired.
This cake will look like it needs to cook just a little longer, but by the time the topping is set, it's ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note