Rock Soup Pound Cake
Classic pound cake recipe. Instead of just making a brown sugar, lemon, rum, or sour cream pound cake incorporate all these flavors into one delicious cake. When making foods with many flavors my father used to call it rock soup. Perfect for holidays and special occasions.
- 4 stick(s) butter, unsalted softened
- 1 1/2 cup(s) brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 8 large eggs at room temperature
- 4 cup(s) cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract pure
- 2 teaspoon(s) dark rum (Bacardi) or rum extract
- 1 lemon
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) lemon juice fresh
- 1 to 2 teaspoon(s) lemon zest fresh
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream (Daisy)
- 1/2 cup(s) evaporated milk or buttermilk
- Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour or coat with nonstick cooking spray a 10-inch angel food cake pan or 12-inch tube pan. In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together the flour, salt, baking powdered, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, cream butter and lemon zest until creamy on low speed, scraping when necessary. Gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating slowly just until egg yolk is incorporated. Next add in the vanilla, rum, and lemon juice until blended. Take the sifted flour mixture and add it to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the evaporated milk and sour cream—beginning and ending with the sifted flour mixture—beating slowly until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and invert on serving plate; cool completely on a wire rack.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by nfulks32 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note