Rock Cornish Hens With Oyster Cornbread Stuffing
- 12 (1- to 1 1/2-pound) Cornish hens
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups cornbread crumbs
- 3 cups soft bread cubes (about 5 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) container fresh select oysters, well drained
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Remove giblets from hens; reserve for other uses. Rinse hens with cold water, and pat dry; sprinkle salt and pepper over surfaces and inside cavities.
- Combine next 9 ingredients, stirring well. Cut oysters into quarters; add to breadcrumb mixture. Stir until well combined. Stuff hens lightly with oyster mixture. Close cavities, and secure with wooden picks; truss. Place hens, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan.
- Brush hens with butter, reserving any remaining butter for basting. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes, basting frequently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes