Roasted Winter Vegetables
Any assortment of winter vegetables will work in this recipe. I've listed below what I used the first time I made it, but you could certainly add or substitute cabbage, parsnips, red potatoes, etc.. Can be made a day or two ahead and reheated the day of to free up the oven for other dishes. Adapted from multiple online recipes and fall magazine ideas. Be warned that this made twice as much as I thought it would, so you may want to start with half the quantity of veggies and then add to them.
- 1 acorn squash peeled, halved, seeded, & cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 butternut squash peeled, halved, seeded, & cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 pound red or russet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 stalk brussles sprouts (or 2 pounds) trimmed and halved
- 1 large red onion peeled, halved & cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 large shallots sliced into 1-inch wedges
- 1 16oz can of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 6 cloves garlic minced (or use a garlic press)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3-4 sprig(s) rosemary (or 1-2 tsp. dried, crushed)
- 3-4 sprig(s) thyme (or 1-2 tsp. dried)
- 1 tsp. brown or granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Wash, peel, chop all the veggies and combine with the chickpeas into 1 or 2 large roasting pans (I used two Pyrex 9x13 dishes). Combine last eight ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup to stir together for more even disbursement, drizzle over the top of the vegetable mixture, and toss to coat more evenly.
- Put in the oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then removed pan to stir vegetable mixture. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes. Continue to stir and roast in the manner for up to an hour or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by LibbaP and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note