Although I had a bit of trouble getting the crust to roll out sufficiently, we agreed that this dish is very savory and warming on a cold night for a family meal. I cut the roasting time by ten minutes at each stage with no problems, and added some fresh asparagus for the last 10 min. of roasting. The flavors go well together, and if I make it again I'll just increase the pastry dough. This might be good with cubed seitan mixed in, and perhaps a bit of soy sauce. Portion size is just right. Served with cream of mushroom soup and a green salad with pickled beets, cucumber, and a bit of feta cheese and LF sour cream.
Roasted-Vegetable Potpie with Feta
This potpie can be a light entrée or an impressive side dish. Prepare the crust while the vegetables are roasting.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 36.2g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 517mg
- Calcium: 122mg
- Roasted vegetables:
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups (1-inch) cubed zucchini
- 2 cups (1-inch) pieces red bell pepper
- 2 cups (1-inch) pieces yellow bell pepper
- 2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) sliced carrot
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 20 (1/2-inch-thick) slices portobello mushrooms (about 2 large)
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- Buttermilk pastry:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare roasted vegetables, combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Place on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes, stirring once. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic; bake an additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove roasted vegetables from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 400°.
- To prepare buttermilk pastry, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add buttermilk, butter, and vinegar; toss with a fork until moist. Gently press mixture into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12 x 7-inch rectangle; freeze 10 minutes. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap; let stand 1 minute or until pliable.
- Combine roasted vegetables, feta, and next 6 ingredients (feta through black pepper) in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Fit dough over filling. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut 6 slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until the potpie is golden brown and bubbly around the edges. Let stand 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles