Serve with a tossed salad or gazpacho.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound zucchini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Bring chicken broth and saffron threads to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer mixture 20 minutes.
- Toss together bell pepper strips, sliced zucchini, and 1 tablespoon oil; place in an even layer in a 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Sprinkle evenly with oregano and thyme.
- Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño in remaining 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes or until onion is caramelized. Add tomatoes, and cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add uncooked rice and chicken broth mixture to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring once after 15 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and zucchini, and cook 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes