This was originally published in CL, Sept 1996, and I kept that magazine because of this recipe. Like the previous review, it can be a little bland, so if you like more garlic or salt, you may need it.The best part of the recipe for me was that it was a good way to get veggies in a meal that even kids will eat, especially big kids who don't care for veggies. the key is to roast the veggies so that they impart a smokey sweetness to the dish and it improves the flavor. You can also substitute cheddar or gruyere for the provolone to get more flavor into the dish.
Roasted Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 cups diced peeled eggplant (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces uncooked)
- Cooking spray
- Dash of paprika
- Preheat oven to 450°.
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large shallow roasting pan; toss well. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add provolone cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in roasted vegetables and macaroni.
Spoon mixture into a 3-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and paprika, and sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes