This is a great recipe, and the option to make a second baked dish out of the leftovers (Cheesy vegetable pasta) was excellent. I am easily able to use a combo of eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini & egg plant - whatever I have on hand - and it is all excellent. I'm not super-thrilled with the amout of oil recommended for the oil/balsamic mixture - you can get away with half the oil and double/triple the balsamic vinegar (the vinegar is such a wonderful flavor punch!). I usually end up roasting cherry tomatoes (if they're available) vs adding in the raw tomato. I've also had great luck with pre-roasting the veg the night before then chopping them and tossing in with the pasta the next night to save some time. Whole wheat penne works well with this dish.
Roasted-Vegetable and Feta Ziti
Photo: Formula Z/S
This recipe goes with Cheesy Vegetable Pasta
Yield: Makes 4 servings with leftovers
More From Real Simple
Other: 20 Minutes
- Cheesy Vegetable Pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds), halved lengthwise
- 3 medium eggplants (1 to 1 1/2 pounds), halved lengthwise
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 16-ounce box ziti or penne
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 7-ounce package Feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat the broiler. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the oil with the vinegar, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and a few grinds of pepper and brush the mixture on the cut sides of the zucchini, eggplants, and onion. Arrange them cut-side up on a large, shallow baking pan.
Broil the vegetables 6 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, until browned and fork-tender. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut the zucchini crosswise into thin slices. Cut the eggplant into 1-inch pieces. Chop the onion coarsely.
BR] Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain in a colander. (Do not rinse.) Return the pot to the stove, add the garlic and the remaining oil, and cook over low heat until the garlic sizzles. Stir in the oregano and mint. Add the cooked pasta, broiled vegetables, chopped tomatoes, and Feta. Set aside half the pasta for Cheesy Vegetable Pasta, which is prepared before freezing. (See link to recipe, above.)
Season the rest of the pasta with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few more grinds of pepper. Warm over low heat. Serve with the Parmesan.
To Freeze: Roasted-Vegetable and Feta Ziti does not freeze well as is. For best results, transform it into Cheesy Vegetable Pasta (see link to recipe, above). After preparation, cover with foil and freeze. It will keep frozen for 3 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This