We didn't find this to be dry at all, but I did use Israeli couscous (the large pearled kind), which may have made a difference? Great meatless Monday meal for us - the topping is super yummy.
Roasted Vegetable Couscous with Chickpeas and Onion–Pine Nut Topping (Al Cuscus bil Khodar al-mausim)
Many savory Moroccan dishes incorporate fruit, and this entrée is crowned with a slightly sweet sauté of onions, raisins, buttery pine nuts, and honey. The garnish offsets plain couscous and heightens the sweetness of the roasted root vegetables.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 520
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 90.5g
- Fiber: 13.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 688mg
- Calcium: 135mg
- 5 cups diced peeled sweet potato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced peeled parsnips (about 10 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Ras el Hanout
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces (about 9 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Emeril's)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. To prepare couscous, combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place potato mixture on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; gently stir in chickpeas. Keep warm.
- 4. To prepare topping, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 12 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add pine nuts and raisins; cook 2 minutes. Stir in cinnamon; cook 30 seconds. Stir in honey, and remove from heat.
- 5. Mound couscous in the middle of a serving platter. Place the roasted vegetables around base of couscous. Arrange 5 carrots vertically around couscous; spoon topping over top of couscous.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note