More From Southern Living
Bake: 2 Hours, 45 Minutes
Stand: 20 Minutes
- 1 (14-pound) frozen whole turkey, thawed*
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- Garnishes: Red Globe grapes, fresh sage leaves, orange wedges
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry.
- Loosen skin from turkey breast without totally detaching skin. Stir together 1/2 cup butter, 1 teaspoon sage, salt, and pepper. Rub half of butter mixture (about 1/4 cup) evenly over turkey breast under skin; replace skin.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a lightly greased wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined roasting pan. Rub entire turkey evenly with remaining half of butter mixture. Pour chicken broth into bottom of roasting pan.
- Bake at 350° for 2 hours and 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180°. (Prevent overcooking turkey by checking for doneness after 2 hours.) Remove turkey from roasting pan, and let stand 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish, if desired.
- *Substitute 1 (14-pound) whole fresh turkey, if desired.
- Note: To loosen skin from turkey, grasp edge of turkey skin with one hand, lifting skin up and pulling it back. Slide fingers of other hand between skin and meat to separate. Wear disposable rubber gloves, or wrap fingers in plastic wrap, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes