Outstanding.....but I did make changes. I used romas, 1 can diced tomato, 6 garlic cloves, sliced red onions,2 tsps pepper flakes, 4 cans chick broth, cilantro, 4 cups cooked black and northern beans and 1 1/2 cups diced roasted pork from last nites dinner. I like to use up ingredients that I have on hand in recipes that inspire me. Delicious and I think anybody can improvise on this one by adding a few ingredients that would give it more texture and color. Zucchini would be good in this too. The overall broth is so good! This is added to my recipe file.
Roasted Tomato Tortilla Soup
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Sabrina Bone
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 490mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 5 medium tomatoes, cut in half (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 (6-inch) Anaheim chiles
- 7 (1/4-inch-thick) slices onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- Cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) white corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded queso fresco
- 8 cilantro sprigs
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cut chiles in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place chiles, skin sides up, on baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes. Peel tomatoes and chiles; place in a small bowl. Place onion and garlic on baking sheet; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil 20 minutes or until browned, turning after 10 minutes. Add onion and garlic to tomatoes in bowl. Discard foil.
- 3. Arrange tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Broil 9 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Place tomatoes, chiles, onion, and garlic in a food processor. Process 1 minute or until blended. Spoon tomato mixture into a large saucepan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and the next 5 ingredients (through broth); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls; top each serving with about 6 tortilla strips, 1 tablespoon avocado, 1 tablespoon queso fresco, and 1 cilantro sprig.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews